Did you know that your teeth are covered in a sticky film called plaque? After your meals, the bacteria on your teeth release acids that attack tooth enamel. Overtime, repeated attacks on tooth enamel cause it to break down, eventually resulting in cavities. Plaque that is not removed from brushing can harden and turn into tartar or calculus.
Fortunately, there are a number of practices you can do to prevent plaque from building on your teeth, such as:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Cleaning between your teeth daily
- Eating a balanced diet and limiting snacks
- Visiting your dentist regularly for cleanings and oral exams
- Ask your dentist about sealants, which can be applied to chewing surfaces of the back of teeth
Schedule your semiannual cleaning today using your True Dental Discount dental plan, in order to prevent plaque from causing future oral health problems.