If every year you resolve to lose weight or stop biting your fingernails, it may be time for a new resolution in 2015. Why not renew your commitment to great oral health and hygiene? Making a few simple changes to your daily routine could result in significant benefits to your teeth and gums. Here are some ideas to get you started toward your best dental year yet:
• Strive to floss daily. Flossing removes the build up of food and germs between teeth, which can lead to tooth decay. It’s also been suggested that flossing plays a vital part in preventing heart disease, so this daily routine could save both your teeth and your life.
• Brush at least twice daily. You’ve heard it a million times, but brushing in the morning and again at night is very important to your overall oral health. Brushing removes bacteria and plaque that have coated your teeth after eating, and helps prevent cavities from forming. This is especially necessary if you eat sugary foods or dessert at night.
• Replace your toothbrush at least every three months, or when the bristles begin to show wear. You should also replace it after you’ve recovered from an illness, like the flu. This will prevent bacteria from staying on your toothbrush and keep you from potentially getting sick again.
• Eat more dairy products and increase your intake of calcium. Consuming calcium-rich foods and beverages is essential for the health of your bones, including your teeth. Along the same lines, you should reduce your intake of caffeine or excessive sugar. Drinks like tea and coffee can stain your teeth, and sugar hastens the decay of unbrushed teeth.
• Avoid cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Both of these products can lead to oral cancer, not to mention stain your teeth and give you bad breath. Every part of your oral health will improve by avoiding these hazardous products.
• Make it a habit to talk to your dentist and communicate about any oral health issues you experience. Many problems can be avoided by good communication and dialogue with a professional.
During these sessions, be sure to discuss how True Dental Discounts fits into your overall plan for dental health. By communicating and taking advantage of your True Dental Discounts membership, you can start out the new year with healthy teeth and a full wallet.