Specialists in this field are trained to deal with children from infancy to teens. These doctors need to know how to deal with young children so they can help a child through the process of going to the dentist.¹ Some children can become very fearful of the process, therefore these dentists need to know how to comfort the child along with working on their teeth.¹
- Teach parents ways to get rid of bad habits children may have, provide better nutrition for children.
- Work with many different types of problems with kids teeth.
- Explain to families about cavities and gum diseases.
- Describe to young kids or teens the importance of brushing and flossing every day.
- Help nurture teeth and provide care for dental problems for many years.
A general job description of Pediatric Dentist:
- Offers dental care for babies, kids, and teens.
- Treats baby teeth and permanent teeth.
- Able to work with behavior problems or handicap conditions.
- Advises families about children's dental health and ways to improve or prevent problems.